Monday, May 19, 2014

Avocado Breast Milk Soup


Our girl is as healthy as they come. At her most recent check up she weighed a sturdy 16lbs 1.8oz and measured 25.2" long. I'm sure you can tell from the pictures I post she is by no means starving. She LOVES to eat, and thanks to our more than generous breast milk donors, she hasn't had a drop of formula since she's been home. Personal high five, fist bump, cartwheel!! 

I've been doing some reading about babie's first food, so at her doctors appointment, I asked if she's ready. He gave the green light to try testing her tongue reflex. If she wasn't ready she'd just instinctively push the food out of her mouth and we'd try again in another week or so. I had a feeling that she was ready though cause she's been eyeballing our food when we eat, following the fork from plate to mouth like it was the most amazing thing she's ever seen. 

I decided awhile ago, rice cereal wasn't going to be Squeaks' first food. There were lots of reasons for this decision, but this article sums it up nicely (I like pretty much everything on her site). So we're skipping the mush and going straight for the good stuff. Avocado! 

She was in a particularly good mood yesterday, and was just hungry enough that it seemed to be the right time for Squeaks' first taste of "solids"! I put it in quotes because it was really more of a breast milk avocado soup. I mashed up about two tablespoons of super ripe avocado and mixed it with breast milk so it was pretty thin. I was expecting her to spit it out or make weird faces, but she loved it! It dribbled down her chin a little, and she liked trying to put her hand in her mouth while the spoon was in there, but the majority made it in, and she ended up eating the whole bowl!  Josh took at least forty pictures and it was so entertaining that by the end we both agreed there should really be a Squeaks channel on TV to share this amazingness with the world.

6 comments:

  1. She gets more enchanting by the day

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's sooo cute! She looks like a Very happy baby! Kristen, although I don't know you in real life, I think you are a great and loving mom!! (And Josh offcourse a great dad!)
    I love your little family! I work @ a day care (0 - 2 years old) and I love kids :-) I love Reading your blog! :-)

    (Sorry, I don't know if my writing is Very Well.. I'm from the Netherlands!)

    Xoxo Xenia :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Xenia! I love seeing how far our story reaches. Thank you for reading!

      Delete

Leave us a comment and let us know what you thought of our post. Feel free to share it as well. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...