Friday, January 17, 2014

The Call


January 8th, 2014. The day we found out we were parents to a beautiful little girl. The call that changed our lives.
So there we were. In our PJs. Watching Duck Dynasty. Lounging on the couch at 10:30 at night. Oblivious. Little did we know, our daughter had been born that morning.

I had it in my head the way it would go. The ring tone I had assigned to our agency director would sound and my heart would race. She would tell us about an expectant mom who had chosen us from a stack of profiles because of a small detail. Maybe she liked that we were going to homeschool, or that we had three dogs, or that I was going to stay home with the baby. Some little detail that had confirmed her choice. She would be in her second trimester maybe. Plenty of time to plan, finish the nursery, get to know the woman who would change our lives with a new little life. Maybe she'd let me be in the room when our child came into this world. I would be prepared with a "going home outfit" for baby and a memorable and meaningful gift for birth mom. Baby would be born and come home the next day. A nice neat package. 

But where's the fun and excitement in that? God's plans continually blow me away.

10:30 at night last Wednesday. Michelle, our agency director, calls from a number I don't recognize and my phone is on vibrate so I just barely notice the screen light up out of the corner of my eye. I answer and immediately my heart races (I don't think that part would change in any scenario) as Michelle tells me she's at the hospital and a beautiful little girl had been born. I put her on speaker for Josh. She gives us all the info she can and asks if we would like our profile shown to the birth parents. No matter how long you wait, how much you want it, the idea of IMMEDIATELY having a child that you didn't even know existed that morning, it's a bit of a shock. We asked for ten minuets to pray, talk, think, and call back. Fear is a powerful thing. I sat and watched my strong wonderful husband guide me and display immeasurable faith. We called Michelle back and confidently announced "she's ours!!"

Michelle called back in less than twenty minutes. They had picked us and the ride of our lives began. She gave us the hospital info and told us to be there at 9:00 the next morning. 

Longest. Night. Of. Our. Lives.



January 8th, 2014. The day we found out we were parents to a beautiful little girl. The call that changed our lives.
Josh brushing up on his parenting skills after we got the call.
We were up hours before the alarm. Have you ever been up so early that the only other people in Target are the employees? We rushed around the store buying baby "essentials" for the day and small gifts for the birth parents. I say small, because nothing could ever be sufficient. Not much point in even trying to compare. There aren't many things as humbling as buying lotion and body scrub for the woman giving you her child. On to the hospital.

January 8th, 2014. The day we found out we were parents to a beautiful little girl. The call that changed our lives.
Waiting outside Target for the store to open.
Longest. Drive. Of. Our. Lives.

45 minutes later we were there. We walked into the waiting room and met Michelle. This hard working, compassionate woman had been there all day Wednesday, driven two hours home, and then come all the way back early the next morning to meet us and bring breakfast to birth mom. We waited outside for birth mom to finish eating and then Michelle lead us back to her room. 

This is where I stop for now. I still haven't completely decided what details of this week to share and what to keep for ourselves. Plus I have my newborn daughter in my arms and I'm blissfully exhausted.
I'll leave you with the first picture we ever saw of our daughter, texted to us by Michelle the day our girl was born. 6lbs 13oz and 19 inches of perfection.


January 8th, 2014. The day we found out we were parents to a beautiful little girl. The call that changed our lives.



25 comments:

  1. Oh sweet love!!!! K I know I really don't know you but im crying tears the size of Texas. I am beyond excited for you two and beautiful baby girl!!! God is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh. Deep sigh. This is such a happy ending. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing story! I'm so excited for you guys. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh!! Congrats!!!! So exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, im so hapy for you guys. This Is a great way ro start my staurday, something great happening to nice people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, what a whirlwind!!! I'm so so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Now that's some real news! Congratulations doesn't seem to cover it - but congratulations! We're so happy that your wait is finally over and you've made it! I'll definitely be looking forward to your next Motherhood Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I have been following your blog for several months and have felt your pain....bet your lives have been turned upside down but so wonderful.....wishing you all a wonderful and beautiful life together......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, Kristen!! I'm so happy for you!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praise God!! I have been following your blog for awhile and sit here with goosebumps while reading your news! Congratulations and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh. Wow. That is a shock, eh?! I mean, a good shock!! I can't believe you have gone from waiting to be matched to holding your baby in your arms *just like that*!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I am so excited for you guys! What a whirlwind! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been following your blog for a while and have never commented, but this post seriously made me laugh and smile with happiness for you. Thank you for sharing your journey and being so positive. Your posts have always lifted my spirits when I was down. I'm so happy you have your happy ending :) may God bless and keep you and your little family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Enjoy your perfect little baby xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are THRILLED for you! We know how each moment of holding that child is so very precious! We are praying that the adoption proceedings go smoothly and quickly. Rejoicing so much for you....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been following your story. I love the Happy Ending or shall I say Beginning. Hopefully my husband and I will get that call one day as well. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Been following your blog but never commented. This is absolutely beautiful and brought tears to my eyes. So much love to you two. I can't wait until we our "call."

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you were watching Duck Dynasty! That's filmed where I was born and raised. I have several on my DVR. Maybe we should start watching them so we can get our call. Haha. Thanks for sharing. So happy for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never commented on your blog before but everyday I check it I had hope for a post like this. . . Congrats! You will be a wonderful mother!

    ReplyDelete
  20. JONATHAN AND I ARE SOOOO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Reading this brought tears to my eyes! Congrats to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats! So beautiful. Love that you took a pic outside the store while you waited for it to open. What a fun memory to be able to share. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't know how I missed this but oh my goodness- Congrats!!! She's beautiful! I can't wait to hear all about her. Welcome to the craziest, most wonderful ride of your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Our hearts are so happy for the three of you!!!! Our call came 10 years ago and I still remember every second. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment and let us know what you thought of our post. Feel free to share it as well. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...