Sunday, November 9, 2014

Finger Foods


Squeaks has become very independent with her meals. All of a sudden the purées I've been slaving over lovingly preparing just won't cut it. She must feed herself. And so I have begun the hunt for Squeaks approved finger foods. We are a "puffs" free house. Too many ingredients I can't pronounce. Aside from the obvious finger foods like steamed cut up veggies, cheese, and cut up fruit, we've found some yummy stuff with the help of Pinterest. 

Yogurt Dots:
1/2 cup puréed fruit of your choice (I've done mango, raspberry, pear, and apple. All were well received.)
1 cup full fat plain organic yogurt

These homemade yogurt dots were our first big hit. The store bought melt away ones are apparently very popular but I'm just not crazy about them. The only down side to the homemade ones is that they melt so you can't just toss them in the diaper bag and go. Other than that, they're awesome!

Mix everything together and spoon into a zip-lock baggy. Cut off a tiny bit of the bottom corner on the baggy and pipe the mixture in little dots (about the size of a dime) onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet (I used a Silpat). The mixture comes out pretty fast so be ready. Put the cookie sheet in the freezer for an hour, the dots will just peel off the paper after they freeze and you can store them in a freezer bag. Squeaks LOVES these. They're easy to pick up and feel good on her teething gums.

Baby Pancakes:
1 ripe banana 
2 eggs
1/4 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
1 tsp cinnamon 

These are a big breakfast favorite. I would even eat these! They taste really good and they cook up just like regular pancakes. Super easy. Just put everything in a bowl and mash it together (I've found my potato masher works really well). You can fry them into little silver-dollar sized cakes or into regular pancakes and cut them into bits for little hands to pick up (which is what I do).  These take less than ten minutes to make and there's usually extra to heat up for the next day too. No added sugar, gluten/wheat free, yummy...what else could you want!?


Apple Zucchini Muffins:
5 eggs
1 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
1 grated organic zucchini 
2 heaping TBS of flax-seed meal  
1/2 cup coconut flour
3 TBS cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)

This is an adaptation from a recipe I found at Wellness Mama. The original recipe gives you the option to add honey, but since Squeaks is still under a year I left it out. I added the zucchini because you can never have too many veggies. I added the flax to balance out the added moisture from the zucchini (although you should ring out as much moisture as you can after you grate it), plus it's just plain good for you. 
Place all ingredients in your mixer (or just whisk by hand) until combined. Let sit five minutes and then spoon mixture into lined or coconut oil greased muffin tins. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes (or until slightly browned and they bounce back when you press on top). Let cool and cut into baby sized pieces.  These come out ever so slightly sweet and I enjoy eating one myself with a little butter. Again, no added sugar, and wheat/gluten free! Yum!

There you have it. Healthy, easy, Squeaks (and mommy) approved finger foods. 
Big girl eating lunch.

2 comments:

  1. Those yogurt dots look so yummy! I would definitely make them to have for myself as a little snack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try the yogurt dots. Between you and me we've been letting Violet have puffs, which I'm not too keen on either. She adores the yogurt ones. She's also teething hardcore lately so I bet these would be great.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment and let us know what you thought of our post. Feel free to share it as well. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...