Thursday, October 23, 2014

Keepin' It Clean


We're still going strong with the cloth diaper plan. There have been a few small breaks, like when we went on vacation and when I wasn't feeling well, when we used disposables for a bit. I always came right back to cloth though. I actually even missed my cloth stash. I also use cloth wipes (with a spray solution of water and baby wash) as often as I can. However, there is that occasional diaper that just requires disposable wipes (Ew!). Up till now, I've always bought Honest Co. disposable diapers and wipes. In an effort to cut costs, I've decided to make my own wipes (I'll never give up Honest Co. diapers. They're the closest thing to cloth in my mind. Love them!). I was first inspired to make wipes when I read a post by Gingi at Domestic Geek Girl when she made wipes for her sweet daughter. She gives great info on the ingredients and why they are beneficial. I didn't have all the same ingredients as she did on hand, and since this was suppose to help us save money, not spend more, I worked with what I had. Here's what I used:

2 cups filtered warm water
(You can also use distilled for even fewer impurities.)
2 tbs castile soap
(I used peppermint Dr. Bronner's because it's super gentle. Peppermint kills bacteria too.)
2 tbs coconut oil 
(This is a good moisturizer and has lots of health benefits.)
8 drops of tea tree oil
(Also good at killing bacteria.)
8 drops of lavender oil
(Calming and covers the tea tree oil smell.)

Mix everything together (swirl, don't shake, to keep bubbles down) in the same container you're going to put the wipes in. I used an old coffee container I scrounged from my parents since Josh and I don't drink coffee. Cut a roll of paper towels in half with a serrated knife (this takes some elbow grease). With your mixture in the bottom of the coffee container, slide in one of the paper towel roll halves cut side down, put the lid on, and let it sit 10-15 minutes. After that, flip it over and let it sit another 10-15 minutes to soak in all the way. Open it up and slide out the center cardboard piece in the middle of the paper towel roll. The wipes should dispense perfectly from the center! Cool!

I've used these on a few messy diapers, and so far so good. They are thinner than Honest Co. wipes (which are super thick), but that is my only con. They moisturize like nobody's business and are really good at getting the stickier messes. I'm very happy with these. Let me know if you try them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment and let us know what you thought of our post. Feel free to share it as well. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...