Friday, March 28, 2014

Occupied


This room. This little room. It's held so much hope. I've sat on the floor, leaned against the wall, wandered in and out, and sometimes, kept the door shut out of sadness. I've written about the room across the hall from our bedroom before. Now it has an owner! It has a little person who will play on the floor, pull clothes from the dresser drawers, and someday, probably color on the walls when I'm not looking. It's Squeaks' room and, in my opinion, it's one fantastic room! 

Every time I thought about sharing pictures of her room I would think of one last thing I wanted to add. Had to finish the wall treatment. Had to get a crib skirt. Had to decorate her bookcase. Well, I'm finally satisfied (for now) with the doneness of it. 

I feel very comfortable in Squeaks' room. It's cozy. Now that Josh is back to work, we agreed I would take over night time feedings. This is when I've dreamed up the majority of the room decor. I sit in my rocking chair, Squeaks sleepily chugging a bottle, the room lit by nightlight, and I design in my head at 2am. 

There's nothing "precious" about Squeaks' room. I think it will be easy for her to grow up in. I've never been real big on pink and ruffles. Since Squeaks arrived I believe our house contains more pink than 
I had ever imagined it would. So when choosing a style for her room, pink didn't even really cross my mind. Although some snuck in, which I guess is inevitable with little girls. Red has always been my favorite color and, right now, I love it paired with teal. I've also never been one for themes. Lady bug theme, princess theme, owl theme....meh. Not my style. I like things that kind of look like they came together slowly over time. 

When all is said and done though, this is all just gravy. The room across the hall became paradise the second it was occupied by Squeaks.
 Don't you just love panorama! Although it makes the room look even smaller than it is.
 I wanted a bookcase that fit under her window so that it would double as a side table for the rocking chair. I found this one at Target. I didn't like the super thin, plain white, backboard it came with though. Instead I had Josh cut down a piece of bead-board and painted it red. I think it makes the bookcase look more substantial and interesting. It sure is handy having a husband who can work power tools! Yay for manly men!  
The rocking chair is super comfy and fluffy. I've fallen asleep rocking Squeaks in it multiple times. The yellow and zebra print blanket over the back was a gift from Squeaks' birth mom and you can also see it in Squeaks' one month pictures. A true keepsake.
 I love the way the wall over her crib turned out. It cost very little, which I love too. I just got embroidery hoops at the craft store (about $1.00 each), and filled them with fabric I had left over from the window banner you see in the panoramic shot. The frame in the center was 40% off at Michael's. The chalkboard inside is really just a flat canvas I had left over from another project spray painted with chalkboard paint. The phrase "Though she be but little she is fierce" is Shakespeare and I love it. Although, I keep thinking of other things I could write there so it might not stay.
 I'm particularly proud of Squeaks' dresser. It was my dad's dresser, then my dresser when I was little, and now Squeaks gets to enjoy it. It has tons of storage and character. I refinished it using this tutorial I found on Pinterest, changed out the knobs for Talavera-esk ones, and added teal chevron drawer liner. I'm particularly fond of the chalkboard drawer labels. They're made with chalkboard contact paper that I cut on my Cricut. Fun!!
 Other touches around the room include photography taken by my dad (the daisies above her dresser and the crayon picture above the rocking chair), a giraffe storage thingy for books and whatever else I can put in it cause it's so cute, and the best shadow box ever made by my mom of Squeaks' baby shower.

There you have it. The best room ever! Or at least in my house.

10 comments:

  1. Love, love, love it! I don't like themes either. It has so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely. Unique and interesting like the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the exact way abt style...slow and steady. I don't like buying something just to buy to fill up a room :) room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome room!!! It has so many special touches and I can tell it is filled with love!!! You have a great eye for decorating :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I wasn't sure where I could email you personally to ask, so I'll just ask here...do you mind if I use your Motherhood Monday idea? It is super cute and a great way to document feelings during the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great room - I like all the personal touches, so much character! And the red is extra fun! We're also not fans of the typical pink or blue - but I never thought of using red. I also like the embroidery hoops....might "borrow" that idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very pretty, Eons ago my baby girl's room was also red, those were the days we did not know the sex of the baby, love the use of your drawers and the way you put everything together....thanks for sharing,,,,,so nice to see you all so happy together...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! The room wasn't complete till it was occupied by your own baby girl!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment and let us know what you thought of our post. Feel free to share it as well. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...